Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Interior

Unread 01-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Tazshido

Default Where is the damn trunk button???

I just took possession of my 1997 Cavalier LS convertible. I can't for the life of me locate the remote trunk button. The keyless remote appears to be disabled while the key is in the ignition and in the "on" position. I figure the car HAS to have a button for popping the trunk in the interior somewhere. Maybe mine was removed?
I also need help with another really goofy question. Is there a way to roll the back windows down on the convertibles without lowering the top? I can't find any switches for that either. The back windows go down automatically when you lower the top but I can't find a way to open them independant of the top.
And before anybody gets stupid with me, let me say that I have had the car for one day and NO, it did not come with an owners manual. Ironic, I'm the only guy I know that actually reads the damn things and my car didn't have one. :x
Any help would be appreciated.
Unread 01-31-2007, 04:43 PM
broke96

Im not sure if every cavalier has one,but on my 95 theres a release right on the side of the driver seat (closest to the door) that pops my trunk,and I dont know about the convertible back windows...
Unread 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Tazshido

Default Nope

There is no button on the side of the seat. There is a spot on the floorboard just inside the kick panel that looks like it might have been meant for a lift lever. But no way of actuating the trunk release
Unread 01-31-2007, 07:06 PM
meter_monkey

i dunno inside the glove compartment maybe??
Unread 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Congrats on getting your car man.
Hope everything goes well.
Unread 01-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Deadbob

I don't know about 95 - 99 cars... but my 01 had a trunk lever on the floor between the front left corner of the driver seat and the door threshold.

My 04 & 05 Sunfire had a button directaly above the clutch pedal.
Unread 02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Tazshido

Default Just missing

Mine must not have one at all. I find that weird. I might have figured out the window thing on my own.
My last unit was a Air Ambulance Company (Medivac) they fly UH-60 Blackhawks. You can fly with the side sliding passenger doors open, but you can't open or close them while flying in forward motion (above a certain ? speed). If you try, it can scoop up the air and blow the doors off. I think that is why the vert won't allow you to have the rear windows down if the top is up. I believe that it would be more pressure than the rag top could take. Can anybody confirm that or maybe raise the Bullshit flag?
Unread 02-01-2007, 07:37 PM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Most likely confirmed.
It makes sense that the wind from the rear windows being down could have a bad effect on the top.
You could probably override the mechanism by removing the catch that keeps the window from going all of the way down.
I've heard of this being done on the 4 doors which only allows the rear windows to go down so far.
Once you open the door panel, there is a keeper that is easily removed to let the window roll all the way down.

The same may be true with the 'vertible would be careful with how fast you go if you do this.
Unread 02-02-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misnblu
would be careful with how fast you go if you do this.

^X2 I'm thinking parachute effect...

Smashed by a Subaru an now I'm rebuilding it...
Unread 02-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Tazshido

Default I agree

I think I won't be messing with any top or window switches or stops any time soon. Everything works the way it's supposed to and on something like that I'm a true believer in the old "if ain't broke don't fix it" adage. I'm pretty sure that the worst that could happen is my back window could end up on the highway behind me. I'd hate to lose my (glass, w/defrost) back window.

Club Cav Partners