Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Maintenance

Unread 09-09-2006, 05:39 PM
the boss

Send a message via ICQ to RLO Send a message via AIM to RLO Send a message via MSN to RLO
Default MAF sensor???

Is that the sensor that plugs in the air intake???

Unread 09-09-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Re: MAF sensor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLO
Is that the sensor that plugs in the air intake???

cut a whole in ur hood and drill a hole into ur intake... then strap down a hobo-fool to ur hood and have him stick his finger in there... then he can report back to you on airspeed and temperature :lol:
Unread 09-09-2006, 06:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to SHOoff Send a message via Yahoo to SHOoff

Not on a J-body. The J-body uses an IAT sensor. It's a speed density system. It doesnt actually measure how much air goes in. Just figures that ammount based on calculations of the air density, based on it's temp.

A MAF will physically meter how much air is going into the engine. But, it's completely different.
Unread 09-10-2006, 05:39 AM
the boss

Send a message via ICQ to RLO Send a message via AIM to RLO Send a message via MSN to RLO

the problem I'm having is I have a p0171 code... which is running lean. The common cause of this code (from what I read) is a faulty or dirty maf sensor... I just wanted to clean it to see if I can fix this problem.... Here's the link

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...gen-sensor.php

Unread 09-10-2006, 10:01 AM

In your case then you'd want to check the IAT sensor and make sure its ok. Maybe just replace it. Its fairly inexpensive. Other than that, i'd take the suggestion of checking the fuel pressure, and change fuel filter. If the pump is starting to go south, it could be leaning out the engine real bad.
Unread 09-10-2006, 12:40 PM
the boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOoff
In your case then you'd want to check the IAT sensor and make sure its ok. Maybe just replace it. Its fairly inexpensive. Other than that, i'd take the suggestion of checking the fuel pressure, and change fuel filter. If the pump is starting to go south, it could be leaning out the engine real bad.
Well what I did was ran the car to temp I got a p0300 code (misfire on #3) I cleared the code and unplug the IAT sensor.. No codes come back after 5-10 The car just runs like crap because I unplug the sensor...

Unread 09-10-2006, 03:03 PM
the boss

Update I bought a new IAT sensor put back the stock intake system and still the same problems... I'm guessing the 02 senors are defected....

Unread 09-10-2006, 09:53 PM

Hmm.... with the IAT sensor unhooked it should end up throwing codes for both HIGH and LOW output from the IAT. Mine did when the wires were broken to it.

As for the O2 sensors. They dont happen to be Bosch sensors do they? GM cars like to disagree with those for some strange reason. I had my 2.2 continuously throw a code for a slow reading on bank 1 sensor 1 (front O2 sensor). That problem never happened before having a bosch sensor.
Unread 09-11-2006, 04:02 AM
the boss

Quote:
Hmm.... with the IAT sensor unhooked it should end up throwing codes for both HIGH and LOW output from the IAT. Mine did when the wires were broken to it.

As for the O2 sensors. They dont happen to be Bosch sensors do they? GM cars like to disagree with those for some strange reason. I had my 2.2 continuously throw a code for a slow reading on bank 1 sensor 1 (front O2 sensor). That problem never happened before having a bosch sensor.
yeah their bosch... let me ask you this... the 02 sensor that goes before the cat was engraved DENSO... I took it back to autozone they had 3 bosch senors that said DENSO on them..

Unread 09-11-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLO
Quote:

yeah their bosch... let me ask you this... the 02 sensor that goes before the cat was engraved DENSO... I took it back to autozone they had 3 bosch senors that said DENSO on them..
Weird stuff. I'd try to shoot for an ACDelco replacement. Much like I would with spark plugs

Club Cav Partners