Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, & Tires

Unread 10-15-2011, 12:53 AM

Default 02 cavalier front end

hey guys first post. my girlfriend has an 02 cavi thats been in a few accidents both on the front end. t-boned on the passenger and side swiped on the driver and now both front tires wear bad on the inside of the tires. my question is what all do i need to replace? i know that the ball joints can cause that but what else will cause the tires to camber this bad?
Unread 10-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to 97Cavafear

It can be something as simple as it being out of alignment. Is it just the inside tread worn or what?
Unread 10-15-2011, 06:12 AM
MOD Squad

I guess a lot would depend on exactly where and how hard the car was hit.
The t-bone on the passenger's side sounds more severe.
If it was hit hard towards the rear of the fender, more near the door, then it may have actually bent the uni-body, causing the strut tower to be misaligned.
Less severe, and easier to repair would be bent tie-rods and/or lower control arms.
The ball joints could be a factor too. You can easily check those by jacking up a wheel and try to move it at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions.
The side swipe on the driver's side, if it hit the wheel, could have a similar effect on that side.
Have you had the car in for professional repairs?
If so, did they look at the frame for damage?
What about an alignment? Have you had it to a shop?

Nothing is as easy as it looks... Everything takes longer than you expect...
And if anything can go wrong, it will... At the worst possible moment.
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:15 PM

ya had the frame looked over when i had the oil pan replaced he said it all looked ok but wanted another 100 to inspect the frontend for damage and tell me what it needed, didnt have it at the time lol. the t bone was im pretty sure bent the tie rods because it was hit in the tire and a little on the fender, hard enough to break the rim. the side swipe was from a bigger car, it hit at the beginning of the fender to the end of the door and right across the top half of the tire.
hasnt been aligned since the recent wreck so 5 months ago, but b4 that (the side swipe) it was still wearing on the inside.

the car still drives great at all speeds and everything all works still lol, its just under 100 000 miles deff worth fixing. im just not used to newer car frontends m car is an 88 camaro

Last edited by stones863; 10-15-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Cavafear View Post
It can be something as simple as it being out of alignment. Is it just the inside tread worn or what?

ya just wearing the inside 2 inches of tread

Club Cav Partners