Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Maintenance

Unread 03-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Default engine code p0440

Hey all, I put a cold air intake onto my 2001 2.2L Cavalier a while back that made no claims to be smog legal. Around that same time my check engine light came on for a p0440 code. First I tried replacing the gas cap with a new one, no effect. Next I took it to a shop to have a smoke test performed. They told me there were no leaks and the code was likely caused by my intake missing some sort of valve in the intake. I thought nothing of this for a while and have driven about 25,000 miles with the engine light on. Recently I found an intake system claiming to be smog legal on ebay for $70 after shipping, so I bought it. The thing is it looks exactly the same as the one I currently have, with no valves in the intake. Now I'm really stumped as to what the code could be caused by. Furthermore, my code scanner will read the codes, but no longer clear the light for some reason, and the fuse is not blown. Also, based on a recommendation I checked the PCV system. According to my Haynes service manual my car has no PCV valve but rather an oil/air seperator inside the valve cover which required no maintenence. However, today I pulled off the fresh air inlet hose and found oil around the sleeve the hose mounts over in the valve cover. Is this a sign of the problem? Is my air/oil seperator broken? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:54 AM

there is a certain amount of oil that will be throwed back up the intake. nothing to worry about unless there is alot of it. now back to the problem. did your factory intake come off and you have to unplug a sensor. if so then you will need to tap the new tube and reinsert the rubber boot. my 04 had one and my 04 sunfire had one. it is the iat sensor and it has to have a reading or it will throw a code.
Unread 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the reply, but it was not the sensor. All sensors that were originally hooked up still are. I figured out the problem is a wiring harness with two wires (one red, one white) that is under the car right in front of the gas tank. The wires have a tendency to break right at the connection into the plastic clip. I checked with Kragen and they told me it was a dealer only part so I begrudgingly went to the dealer. They told me it was $90, and they could offer me 15% off. I talked to the lady, and told her that there was a tsb about this problem (I don't recall the number, but a quick search online will bring it up) and could she do anything more for me. Then she showed me that inside the plastic clip there are little metal clips that the wires crimp on to. You can just pull those out of the plastic clip strip the remaining wire, crimp into new metal connectors (which she gave me for free) and insert back into the plastic clip. Plug both ends of the harness back in and you're good to go. It's been about a week now and I took a long road trip over the weekend and the check engine light has not come back on. Thanks to the help of the local Chevy dealership I was able to fix a $90 problem for free. Hope this helps for anyone else experiencing a p0440 code.

Club Cav Partners