Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, & Tires

Unread 01-13-2002, 10:58 AM

while checking my rear drum brake, it seems that the wheel cylinder was leaked and it just fell apart. External torx screws wont come out, so I was thinking of cutting them off but i'm having hard time finding replacement bolts or screws. can anyone help me with this? thanks!

Last edited by clarkperez2334; 01-25-2002 at 06:05 AM.
Unread 01-13-2002, 07:16 PM

I blew $40 on a set of external Torx sockets and managed to get the screws out. Not so the Torx bolts holding the hub on. I gave up and rebuilt the wheel cylinders in place. It isn't that bad of a job, and the castings seldom are bad enough to require replacement. Buy a small cylinder hone. If you can't find wheel cylinder kits, buy a rebuilt cylinder and toss the casting. Just watch it, Chevy is getting as bad as the imports about making no 2 alike.

You can let the brake fluid that leaks out flush the grit and crud out. Just be careful not to let the master cylinder run dry. My shop manual warns against it and I have seen nothing to suggest it is easy to correct if you do.
Unread 01-20-2002, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by: Labman
I blew $40 on a set of external Torx sockets and managed to get the screws out. Not so the Torx bolts holding the hub on. I gave up and rebuilt the wheel cylinders in place. It isn't that bad of a job, and the castings seldom are bad enough to require replacement. Buy a small cylinder hone. If you can't find wheel cylinder kits, buy a rebuilt cylinder and toss the casting. Just watch it, Chevy is getting as bad as the imports about making no 2 alike.

You can let the brake fluid that leaks out flush the grit and crud out. Just be careful not to let the master cylinder run dry. My shop manual warns against it and I have seen nothing to suggest it is easy to correct if you do.
Thanks man! managed to fix this one... but it took me almost an hour or 2 to make this done.. Lol
Unread 01-27-2002, 12:08 PM

glad you did it Cauz..!

Patience is a virtue...
Unread 04-24-2010, 12:39 AM

Exclamation wheel cylinder removal

i got a 98 cavi rs......im doin complete rear brakes......i got the wheel cylinders unbolted.......but HOW THE HELL DO THEY COME OUT!?!?!?!??!?!?.....i tried to undo the 4 bolts holding the hub on and turns out the hub and backing plate are 1 piece........please need ultra fast help on this....
Unread 04-24-2010, 02:25 AM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Somewhere along the line, I lost the information and pictures on removing the old drum backing plate and the removal of the rear wheel hub.
It's quite easy actually and if you've been following along, you'll notice that there are 4 torx bolts that are holding the backing plate on along with the wheel hub.
Use a wrench to hold the bolts on the inside of the axle while you use a ratchet with torx head to remove the bolts from the axle. It's easier if you use the holes in the wheel hub to gain access to the heads of the bolts for removing.
Once this is done, everything should come right off with nothing left but the axle hanging there.

See if that doesn't help you out.
Good luck.
Unread 04-24-2010, 03:04 AM

ok with some loss of patience i got one side apart ....now the otherside is gunna require some grinding and cutting.......but now im putting the shoes back on and cant remember the config of the springs....wtf
Unread 04-24-2010, 03:27 AM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Here's what I have that may help you in getting the springs in their proper destination.
Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:50 AM

OMG blu thanks......i got it all together and all new now......for the pass wheel cyl. i just removed a wheel stud and banged out the old one and th new one just slid into place with the bleeder valve out........now onto the bleeding.
Unread 04-24-2010, 08:27 AM

It done SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again blu....maybe when i get the money or motivation ill do thaT disc swap that u link me to for the pics....

Club Cav Partners