Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Drivetrain

Unread 02-07-2010, 01:17 AM

Default Pcm swap

I have no communication at the PCM on my 96 Cavalier 2.2L. I was told I need a PCM at the repair shop. I also have a 99 Cavalier 2.2L with a blown trans/parts car and 97 Sunbird 2.2L. Does anybody know exact years for any PCM swaps? eg.96- 2001 2.2L's?
Unread 02-07-2010, 02:14 AM

How did the shop determine you needed a pcm ?Not knocking your mechanic but get a second opinion some people over look things and give you a quick answer to your problem.Pcm very rarely dies unless they get wet or some have defective internal parts you may just have a loose or dirty connection somewhere.I replaced a pcm on Toyota 4-runner that got wet from a ruptured heater core it was a mess. As for swaps the factory changes parameters and how they connect to the vehicle from year to year so you may have to go with one the same model year i did on the 4-runner no other year model would work.Do some research if you are for sure you have to replace it. GOOD LUCK
Unread 02-07-2010, 03:24 AM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Most of the PCM's from the years 96 to 98 should swap with no issues in your car. Just make sure that they have same tranny, engine, and anything else that you can get close to being the same.
Connections should be similar if not exactly the same for these years too so no problem there.

On the 99 to 01 cars, they were transition years but may work with some manipulation of some wiring to make it all work.

And like GearHead mentioned, get a second opinion on the PCM change.
I seriously doubt that would be the case but we'll see.

Good luck with it thought.
Unread 02-07-2010, 05:14 AM

Default pcm swap

The reason I was told it needed a new Pcm is that the scan tool is not communicating via the data link connector and the wiring and other "tests'' have been performed to eliminate wiring ect.. --the scan tool I had from snap-on would not power-up either to read the codes, but I figured/hoped it was because it is a cheaper version portable code reader.
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:01 AM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Does the car even run at all?
It could be something as simple as a fuse but not exactly sure though.
Good luck.
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:08 AM

some of those cheap code readers dont work at all bud im not saying urs dont but most CHEAP ones dont read certain codes
Unread 02-07-2010, 12:36 PM

Default pcm swap

With the cheaper code reader I figured the same as you thats why I brought it in to a bud with a snap-on scanner (modis I think). His tool had no data link connector communication either or power-up. But as to will the car run after an extended crank time it will idle mostly --runs rough really rough like as if misfiring --which I've checked for and there is no misfire or burnt plugs/wires/or coil packs---engine light is on but not flashing --described as crank sensor will pick-up but computer will not adjust for fuel and timing so that is why it will start and idle but without pcm input/monitoring it won't allow for any engine performance. also will die if put in gear or if accelerator is touched. But any other suggestions I would also look into and would appreciate (going to try pcm from sunfire tommorrow hopefully) Thanks Bill
Unread 02-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Most of the time if your pcm is bad your car will not even start or at least stay running any length of time.Remember your pcm is your cars brain it controls everything spark,timing,fuel delivery etc.I still say you have some electrical issues other than your pcm like a bad connection hard to say really without being there.
Unread 02-07-2010, 05:19 PM

It can still be the PCM. Just because it runs, doesn't mean it is good. All PCM's have a default "limp home" mode that it will sometimes go into, so you can "get it home", or to a repair shop.

Even though the modis couldn't communicate with the PCM, did your mechanic check all the fuses??? There is a fuse for the PCM that could have blown. Check all your fuses to make sure that they are good. If they all are, then you might need a new/used PCM.

RDY
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:52 PM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY View Post
It can still be the PCM. Just because it runs, doesn't mean it is good. All PCM's have a default "limp home" mode that it will sometimes go into, so you can "get it home", or to a repair shop.

Even though the modis couldn't communicate with the PCM, did your mechanic check all the fuses??? There is a fuse for the PCM that could have blown. Check all your fuses to make sure that they are good. If they all are, then you might need a new/used PCM.

RDY
Exactly.

It also sounds like you could've jumped timing with the description that you gave on how it's operating.
So aside from checking the fuse, I'd check the valvetrain for a jumped timing belt or chain tensioner that has gone bad.

Good luck with it all. It sounds like you're going to have your hands full with this.

Club Cav Partners