Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Drivetrain

Unread 01-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Dkap7

Default Solenoid/Transmission problems

I have a 2002 cavalier with the 2.2 ecotec. Recently, after putting the car in drive and accelerating my service light pops on and abs light, and trac control off light. I can usually turn the car off and turn it back on and its fine.

But today I was driving and all of a sudden it wouldnt shift into second gear. I drove a little while longer and then it started to shift again, but then went back to first only/ Went and had the codes pulled, and it came pack P0753 wich is 1-2 shift solenoid valve performance... and P1860 TCC PWM solenoid electrical fault. What am I looking at here as far as what to replace? Should I get a new solenoid? Or maybe I need to get a flush due to junk being clogged up in it?

Thanks for any help!
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Se7enGrand

I doubt your transmission needs a flush. Not alot of "crud" will get into your transmission, just the oil in it seems to lose it's "lubeness" lol. Your shift solenoid is probably bad. Easy to fix? I dont know. Usually if one code comes up, a few more pop up along with it because other sensors are getting a bad reading r low performance due to another part. Check a chiltons or haynes manual for replacement of the shift solenoid. Im not sure if it's in the actual transmission or external. Could be an easy fix, could be costly.Also, low transmission fluid can cause an electronic transmission to either not shift or a long hesitation.
Unread 01-24-2008, 01:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to SHOoff Send a message via Yahoo to SHOoff

It's probably got a bad shift solenoid like the computer says. I'm sure it's possible for them to go bad.

You might consider, if the price isn't too much, just going ahead and changing both of the solenoids so you hopefully only have to do the job once. Also, have the tranny fluid and filter changed when you do this.

Good news though. If both solenoids go bad at the same time and won't activate, since both solenoids being turned off = 3rd gear, it will default to 3rd gear. You won't be able to accelerate real fast from a stop, but you'd be able to maintain highway speed if need be.

Club Cav Partners