Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Interior

Unread 11-03-2007, 08:05 AM

Default how do i remove the door panels?

I have an 03 cavalier base version with no power windows or locks.. how do i go about removing the door panel off?? i took out all the screws (i think) but i dont know how to take off the window thing or what else to do.
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:12 AM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Take a towel and use it to remove the retainer for the window handle.
Or you could just buy the tool that is specific to removing the window handle. I bought one just in case I ever needed it and I have used it many time. Not just for the Cavy but a couple of other cars. A worthwhile investment.
Make sure all of the screws are out of the bottom of the door and where your handle is.
Unpop the door panel by gently pulling the door panel away from the door.
Once the door panel is completely popped out, you'll have to manipulate the panel in an up fashion to unpop the window seal clips. It shouldn't be that hard.

Use your Haynes or Chiltons service manual if you have to for the step by step instructions.
If you don't have one, now is the time to invest in one of the most important tools you'll need in your tool box. :D
Unread 11-03-2007, 11:16 AM

can we sticky this, i thin this has been asked about 100 times in the last month
Unread 11-03-2007, 11:27 AM

I got it.. I took some pics on how to completely install the mirrors with the lights.. (currently having difficulties with the passanger side.. I will post after..
Unread 11-04-2007, 02:29 PM

One question....how would you go about using a towel to get the C clip off? I still can't seem to get it off, and I'm after trying about 3 or 4 times this weekend to do so....all with no success. My system is craving some 5.25 or 6.5 speakers lol
Unread 11-04-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_Cav View Post
One question....how would you go about using a towel to get the C clip off? I still can't seem to get it off, and I'm after trying about 3 or 4 times this weekend to do so....all with no success. My system is craving some 5.25 or 6.5 speakers lol

a towel is just to catch the clip incase if it goes flying off

use a flashlight and push back on your door panel, look for the metal piece under the window crank, it is attached to the door crank... you should be able to just bearly see it. if you have any sharp pointy dentist style tools with hooks or angles to them, those would work well. if not, find a tin metal wire hanger, cut it, and then use needle nose plyers to curl the end of it, as small as you can. Basically, you just need to get something behind that pin to pull it out towards you. I removed afew of these pins before and have yet to lose one or have one go flying out of control, you should be okay.

also people use forks and bend one of the tips upwards in the same manner. also you could go to advanced auto parts or somewhere like that, they sell a tool to do this for less than 5 dollars.

generic internet photo, cavaliers may vary a little, i'm not sure if the crank pulls from under the lever or from behind.

when you go to put the thing back on, you just slide the clip into the crank and then push the whole thing back onto the door and it will snap in.
Unread 11-04-2007, 06:16 PM

Ohhhh hahaha....I was trying to use two ends of a coat hanger to push on the ends of the clips, my bad. I'll try this tommrow. Thanks a lot.
Unread 11-04-2007, 06:22 PM

i used the towel too.. i just wrapped the towel around it and went around so that it would grab one side of the clip.. it worked good.. then my dad came over calling me an amature and took a pic and got it off is 5 seconds.. not even joking.

Club Cav Partners