Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Maintenance

Unread 10-30-2007, 07:47 AM
01cavguy

Default 2001 Cavalier Clutch Replacement

Can someone tell me if there is a detailed tutorial on how to replace the clutch on an '01 cavalier? The dealer wants $1,400 to do the job!!!

The part is less than $300 :evil:
Unread 10-30-2007, 09:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to cavalier2000 Send a message via Yahoo to cavalier2000

I think it is like an 8-10 hour job. and at around $100 an hour for labor that price makes sense.

How skilled are you?
Unread 10-30-2007, 09:34 AM
01cavguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier2000 View Post
I think it is like an 8-10 hour job. and at around $100 an hour for labor that price makes sense.

How skilled are you?

I certainly think that between my buddy and I we can tackle this job provided with have the proper guide to follow. I'd like a copy of the GM service manual. It's around $50 on ebay, but I'm pretty strapped at the moment. :(
Unread 10-31-2007, 03:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to SHOoff Send a message via Yahoo to SHOoff

Go to AutoZone or whatever part store is close and get a Haynes or Chiltons manual. They're less then 20 bucks, so that'll help on the cash. And is often substituted for the GM service manual by us car guys.

But dont worry, it's not as hard as it looks. Just sometimes the tranny gets a little heavy.
Unread 10-31-2007, 06:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to cavalier2000 Send a message via Yahoo to cavalier2000

Tranny jack FTW
Unread 11-01-2007, 02:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to SHOoff Send a message via Yahoo to SHOoff

Not when you're doing the job in your driveway. And when you're not pulling the subframe.
Unread 11-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jazer Send a message via Yahoo to Jazer

i havent changed the clutch in my cavy yet, but me and my boyfriend did his in his cobalt SS... it wasnt very hard, my only recomendation is every bolt you take out (or set of like bolts) put in a plastic bag and label it, its much safer so when you are putting it back 2gether you know which bolts go to what... other than that the hardest part is dropping the tranny and lifting it back up (we used an engine lift lol), because its all we had and as nice as tranny jacks are, they are well over 100$ and locally no where rented one... but other than that if you can keep track of bolts and have some way of lifting and dropping a tran you'll be fine. although i heard the cav trans are quite a bit lighter than the cobalt ss one so the 2 of you can probably muscle it into place alright.. and deffinatly get a chiltons/haynes manual as well, that is good to have for everythin and should walkthrough the tranny removal/install pretty well too. i havent seen it in mine although i havent looked for it.... yet

Club Cav Partners